Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Wiki So Far

When I first looked over the wiki one of the pages that I found interesting was the "Definitions" page. This got me thinking that a big part of assimilating into social media is keeping up with the slang. Social networking sites make it easy for people to communicate and network with each other, and users have even gone as far as creating acronyms for words for simpler typing. As new acronyms are developed it is difficult to keep up with them all, so I started a page titled "Social Media Acronyms." The page is basically a list of acronyms (acronym and actual word) from A-Z. Since creating the page I have constantly been updating it with new acronyms as I go, trying to have at least one for each letter. Some things that I plan to work on in the future is adding an image to the page and writing more of an introduction. I was also considering incorporating slang instead of only acronyms.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel like if you don't keep up with the new "lingo" that's coming out you would be lost. As there are new words coming out every day or whenever a song makes it popular like the word "bae"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally liked this post and I read your Wiki and it made me laugh. I believe that it is important to know social media acronyms because in the ever-changing world of technology, there are new innovations being brought out everyday and speech is directly affected by these innovations. Back in the early 2000's lol used to be heavily relied upon but with the introduction of emojis, gifs and memes as well as other acronyms being used to express yourself, the landscape has changed to where you have to constantly be innovative and aware of these changes in social media speech. I personally believe this will have underlying effects on future generations more than ours because in workplace environments, the emphasis is on proper speech but with newer generations being attached to technology since their inception, it might prove difficult for them to distinguish between proper and unproper speech.

    ReplyDelete